A Functional Exercise (FE) is defined by HSEEP as follows:
Indiana PanFlu 2008 State Functional Exercises
Facilitated Functional Exercises for all ten Indiana Homeland Security Districts sponsored by the Indiana State Department of Health and CDC Pandemic Preparedness were held in May-June 2008.
- Delivered long-distance from Purdue University via webcast, video broadcasts, conference call, email, phone and fax with PHSI and ISDH acting as the SIM Cell.
- One exercise in each of the ten Indiana Homeland Security Districts.
- 790 participants from 68 Indiana counties.
- Public health
- Emergency management agencies
- Law enforcement
- Emergency medical services
- Fire departments
- Volunteer agencies
- Elected officials
The exercise scenario included:
- Thirty-two (32) scenario injects regarding pandemic influenza issues were delivered to exercise participants via email, fax or phone.
- Worksheets accompanied each inject with many being required to return to the SIM cell.
- Simulated various complex problems that community stakeholders would potentially face during a pandemic emergency.
- Added a sense of urgency to simulate a stressful environment and required participants to prioritize, delegate, and re-balance workloads.
Goals and Objectives
- Identify an appropriate Incident Command Structure to support community response to an influenza pandemic.
- Establish local Departmental Operations Centers/County Emergency Operations Centers in order to respond to an influenza pandemic
- Identify an order of command succession.
- Develop, coordinate, disseminate, and manage public information during an influenza pandemic.
- Demonstrate ability to manage Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) pandemic countermeasures including receipt, storage, security, and distribution.
- Determine existing county medical surge capacity and identify alternate means of providing care for those ill with influenza.
Homeland Security Courses
Want to study homeland security and emergency management? Enrollment is now open for Fall 2013:
- Foundations in Homeland Security
- Large Event Management & Planning for Homeland Security (Maymester)
- Managing Resources and Applications for Homeland Security
- Learning opportunities page
No current events were found.
- Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center
- Department of Homeland Security
- Indiana Department of Education
- Indiana Department of Homeland Security
- Indiana National Guard
- Indiana State Department of Health
- Indiana State Police
- Purdue Global Poilicy Research Institute
Purdue Homeland Security Institute
203 South Martin Jischke Dr., Rm. 166
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1971
- Phone: 765-494-9793