Cut the shape you need, or engrave an image on a variety of materials – but check first to make sure your material will work safely in our laser cutter.
Basic Rules for Laser Cutting/Engraving
- PPE is not required for operation due to safety interlocks in both laser systems
- You must have previously completed the appropriate hazard communication training for the lab
- A Bechtel Center Peer Mentor must be present during the setup of the laser. Incorrect setup leads to poor cutting and engraving
- Do not tamper with any safety system on the laser or you will be asked to leave. Laser beams move at the speed of light – you cannot dodge them as in films
- If you don’t know what the material is, then don’t cut it. It can poison you, cause a fire, or damage the laser system
- Take note of specific material size requirements for each laser. These will be listed on the information pages linked below
- Ensure exhaust systems are open/connected and on during operation
- You must clean up after you have finished
- Consult with a Peer Mentor if you have any questions, comments, or concerns
Wood, Plastic, Etc.
Specifications and information for the laser used to cut and engrave wood, plastic, and various other non-metal materials.
Specifications and information for the laser used to cut and engrave sheet metal and metal tubing.
Lists of all of our pre-approved or prohibited materials for laser cutting and engraving.