The Graduate School Advance to a Higher Degree

Funding Opportunities

Funding opportunities are available for both domestic and international students. Approximately 75 percent of Purdue's full-time international graduate students receive some funding by or through the University. There are three primary options for financial assistance:

Incentive and travel grants are also available. You should begin your search for funding approximately one year before you will need it to support your graduate education.


Grants are free money for which you are not required to work or repay the funds. Fellowships are the most common type of grant, but others include scholarships, travel grants, and monetary awards. Fellowships are usually available from both the program to which you apply for admission and the Graduate School. Typically, when you apply for admission, a program will consider you for available fellowships without a separate application. To be considered for fellowships offered by the Graduate School, you must be admitted to your program of interest. The Funding Web page provides information regarding specific Graduate School fellowships, the application process, and each fellowship's requirements. Fellowship benefits generally include:

  • Monthly stipend/paycheck*  
  • Tuition scholarship  
  • Medical insurance supplement

*Stipend/paycheck amounts are determined by the academic program.


Assistantships are the most common method of funding graduate study. Over 60 percent of Purdue graduate students hold graduate student assistantships. You may secure teaching, research, or administrative/professional assistantships to help pay for the costs of your education while gaining employment experience. When you receive an assistantship, you work part-time for the University. Assistantship benefits generally include:

  • Monthly stipend/paycheck*  
  • Tuition waiver  
  • Medical insurance at employee rates**

*Stipend/paycheck amounts are determined by the hiring department.
**Only available for .5 FTE assistantships.

Teaching and research assistantships are generally offered by your program of interest; however, some may require a separate application for consideration, while others may consider you when your application for admission is completed. To be considered for assistantships offered by the academic program to which you are applying, please visit that program's Web page or contact the program to determine the appropriate process for applying for an assistantship.

Other departments outside your program of interest may also offer assistantships. For more information about these opportunities, please consult the Graduate School's Funding Database.


Student loan information is available through the Division of Financial Aid (DFA) and the U.S. Department of Education. You can also apply to serve as a residence hall counselor, or seek other employment to help finance your graduate education.

For information regarding the tuition and fee rates for the West Lafayette campus, visit the Bursar's Office online. Also, check out the Tuition Calculator to determine the estimated tuition and housing expenses at the West Lafayette campus.

Ernest C. Young Hall, Room 170 | 155  S. Grant Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2114 | 765-494-2600

© 2017 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by The Purdue University Graduate School

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact The Purdue University Graduate School.