ServSafe National Restaurant Association / Purdue University Extension

Get your ServSafe Food Manager Food Certification by a trusted educational institution, Purdue University!

What is ServSafe?

ServSafe is an educational program developed by the National Restaurant Association to aid restaurants and other retail food handlers comply with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) code (law) to ensure public safety. In the state of Indiana, the state Department of Health and Food Protection Program serves as the enforcement and oversight agency of the FDA code through the Indiana Retail Food Establishment Sanitation Requirements (PDF ).

What is ServSafe Certification?

ServSafe certification means that you have obtained sufficient knowledge about food and beverage safety and handling to earn one of the certificates.

Who needs ServSafe Certification?

Establishments and people who are serving and/or handling food and/or beverages outside of their home to people who are not their family or friends, need to be ServSafe certified, such as restaurants, food trucks, school cafeterias, hospitals and university club events. Purdue University Office of Student Activities and Organizations (SAO) requires that when organizations plan to have self-prepared food served at an event, certain foods require that a ServSafe food handler be on site for food preparation and distribution.

Why Purdue’s ServSafe Program?

Purdue University is recognized as a global leader in delivering education. We make science-based decisions based on data. Our historical data indicates that people have a much higher exam pass rate in our face to face ServSafe Certification trainings than those who take an online program. Most Indiana counties have Extension Educators who are trained to offer ServSafe training and certification exams. Check the calendar for upcoming trainings and locations:  

Food Science, 915 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2054 USA, (765) 494-4614

© 2016 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact us at